WASHINGTON, DC – Representative Ami Bera, M.D. (CA-07) issued the following statement after voting for the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill, historic legislation that will modernize and upgrade our roads, bridges, highways, and broadband access, while creating thousands of good-paying jobs across the country.
“Today is a historic day for the American people,” said Representative Bera. “After decades of talk and no action, President Biden and Congress have delivered the American people transformational legislation that will revitalize our nation’s crumbling infrastructure and grow our economy for years to come. The Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill will make a once-in-a-generation investment that will upgrade our nation’s aging roads, bridges, and highways, transition our transportation systems to cleaner forms of energy, and expand broadband access and increase the resiliency of our electric grid. This historic legislation will also add 2 million jobs per year over the next decade, accelerating our economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic and positioning America to win the 21st century. I am proud to help deliver this historic victory for Sacramento County residents and small businesses.”
Representative Bera continued: “As a founding member and former Democratic Co-Chair of the Problem Solvers Caucus, I am thrilled that this bill passed with strong bipartisan support in both the House and Senate. The passage of this legislation is a testament to the power of bipartisanship and that when we come together as Americans, there’s nothing we can’t accomplish.”
The Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill makes the largest federal investment in public transportation ever:
- Roads, bridges, and transit: includes $110 billion to revitalize America’s roads, bridges, and highways and $39 billion to modernize our transit systems.
- Airports and ports: includes $17 billion in port infrastructure and $25 billion to build and repair America’s airports.
- Climate resilience: includes $50 billion to make our communities safer and our infrastructure including our water supply more resilient to the impacts of climate change and cyber-attacks.
- Clean drinking water: includes $55 billion to replace lead water pipes and PFAS chemicals, marking the largest investment in clean drinking water in American history.
- High-speed internet: includes $65 billion to expand broadband access to Americans across the country.
The Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal now heads to the President’s desk, where he is expected to soon sign it into law.
Go to Source