WASHINGTON – Today, Congressman Ted W. Lieu (D-Los Angeles County) issued the following statement after the House passed H.R.1, the For The People Act, an anti-corruption package aimed at restoring integrity to government by making it easier to vote and ensuring government serves the public interest.
“H.R. 1 delivers on Democrats’ promise to address corruption, reduce money influence in politics and ensure fair elections. Those priorities are just as important today as they were when we first passed this bill in 2019. On January 6, we saw an obscene and violent attempt to overturn our election. While unsuccessful, the riot laid bare how fragile our democracy is and why we must work tirelessly to preserve it. H.R. 1 contains common-sense reforms to protect voting rights and ensure elections continue to be free and fair. It will also help us root out corruption and self-dealing in government. These improvements can help our country emerge from a difficult period healthier by ensuring our government is working for the people.”
Key provisions of H.R. 1, the For the People Act, include:
- Expanding automatic voter registration and same day registration.
- Strengthening vote by mail, early voting and ballot access.
- Combating voter intimidation and voter suppression.
- Protecting elections from foreign interference.
- Fixing partisan gerrymandering.
- Promoting digital ad transparency.
- Forcing disclosure of dark money.
- Reining in lobbyist influence.
- Enforcing ethics and conflict of interest rules for all government officials.
- Empowering small donors with matching funds paid for by lawbreakers, not taxpayers.
Go to Source