WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Congressman John Garamendi (D-CA) voted to pass H.R. 1, the “For the People Act,” a sweeping anti-corruption package to clean up Washington, protect and expand voting rights, restore integrity to government and put the needs, and priorities of the American people ahead of special interests.
“I am pleased to help pass the most transformational and comprehensive set of anti-corruption reforms in a generation,” Garamendi said. “H.R. 1 delivers on our promise to clean up corruption in Washington and return us to a government of, by, and for the people.”
“H.R. 1 will protect the right to vote, ensure the integrity of our elections, crack down on lobbyists and Washington insiders, hold elected officials accountable, and end the era of big, secret, special-interest money in our politics. This historic reform effort will put an end to decades of dysfunction in Washington, return power back to the American people, and put us on an inspired path toward a more equitable, just and prosperous future,” Garamendi concluded.
Key provisions of H.R. 1, the For the People Act, include:
- Expanding automatic voter registration and same day registration.
- Strengthening vote by mail, early voting and ballot access.
- Combating voter intimidation and voter suppression.
- Protecting elections from foreign interference.
- Fixing partisan gerrymandering.
- Promoting digital ad transparency.
- Forcing disclosure of dark money.
- Reining in lobbyist influence.
- Enforcing ethics and conflict of interest rules for all government officials.
See here for more information about H.R. 1.
Go to Source