Congressman Doug LaMalfa (R-Richvale) issued the following statement in opposition to the Equality Act. H.R. 5 passed the House today by a vote of 224-206.
Rep. LaMalfa said, “The catastrophic and misleadingly named Equality Act is an attack on women and would unleash countless consequences, including erasing women’s rights and opportunities, eroding parental rights, and threatening the free exercise of faith so foundational to our freedom. Schools nationwide would be forced to allow boys and men into women’s bathrooms, locker rooms, and even onto women’s athletic teams. Parents objecting to their child’s desire to be ‘gender fluid’ could have custody stripped from them by the federal government. Even a doctor whose conscience prevented her from mutilating a child with gender reassignment surgery could have her practice taken away. Put simply, this bill is Washington-mandated wokeness that rejects both common sense and science at the expense of all Americans, especially children and women, as well as our fundamental rights.”
In its misguided and counterproductive effort to mandate people’s behavior, H.R. 5:
· Amends the Civil Rights Act to include sexual orientation and gender identity as protected classes.
· Would restrict parental consent and involvement in their child’s decision to undergo “gender transition” therapy.
· Erodes the protections provided to women in Title IX, that ensure women and girls have equal and fair athletic opportunities.
· Eliminates the ability to provide separate spaces, services, and protections for women and girls—including bathrooms, locker rooms, domestic abuse shelters, and prisons
· Nullifies conscience protections by requiring medical professionals and hospitals to provide abortion-related services regardless of their beliefs.
· The bill also explicitly prohibits the protections provided by the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, a bipartisan bill signed into law by President Clinton.
Go to Source