LOS ANGELES – On Thursday, Congressman Ted W. Lieu (D-Los Angeles County) hosted California’s 33rd Congressional district’s fifth-annual Congressional App Challenge. This year’s reception was hosted virtually, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Sixteen students from ten high schools submitted eleven apps for this year’s competition. The winners, Dylan and Winston Iskandar of Mira Costa High School(Manhattan Beach) and Chadwick School (Palos Verdes Peninsula), submitted an app entitled “GroceryBuddies.” “GroceryBuddies” is a Web, iOS, and Android application that connects high school/university volunteers with at-risk individuals to help deliver groceries and run errands. They were inspired to create this app because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Congressional App Challenge, a competition aimed at encouraging U.S. high school students to learn how to code by creating their own applications, is open to all middle and high school students who either reside or attend school in California’s 33rd Congressional District. The first place winner’s app is eligible to be featured in the U.S. Capitol Building and House.gov. Additionally, the winner is invited to the #HouseOfCode Washington, D.C. Reception.
“As a recovering Computer Science major, I am inspired by all these students who have committed themselves to creating these innovative apps,” Congressman Lieu said. “My district sees growth every year in the number of submissions we receive. I am proud to represent a district that is the home to Silicon Beach, as well as Space and Missile Systems Center and UCLA, which emphasize the importance of STEM innovation and education.”
Below are the winners of the 2020 Congressional App Challenge:
- 1st Place: “GroceryBuddies”, submitted by Dylan and Winston Iskandar – Mira Costa High School and Chadwick School
- 2nd Place: “Ideos”, submitted by Jake and Kate North – Stanford Online High School
- 3rd Place: “MyChemistry”, submitted by Rachel Fox – Agoura High School (Agoura Hills)
- Honorable Mention: “MaskCheck”, submitted by Jayden Bulexa – Beverly Hills High School
Judges for the 2020 Congressional App Challenge include:
- Dr. William Goodin, Industry Relations Coordinator at UCLA Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
- Mr. Marc Fischer, CEO at Dogtown Media(Venice)
- Mr. Howard Stahl, Department Chair for Computer Science & Information Systems at Santa Monica College
Go to Source