Contact: Speaker’s Press Office,
Washington, D.C. – Speaker Nancy Pelosi released this statement on the unveiling of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. The House will pass the bill tomorrow.
“The Families First Coronavirus Response Act is focused directly on providing support for America’s families, who must be our first priority in this emergency. We cannot fight coronavirus effectively unless everyone in our country who needs to be tested knows they can get their test free of charge. We cannot slow the coronavirus outbreak when workers are stuck with the terrible choice between staying home to avoid spreading illness and the paycheck their family can’t afford to lose.
“The legislation includes:
• Free coronavirus testing for everyone who needs a test, including the uninsured;
• Paid emergency leave with both 14 days of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave;
• Enhanced Unemployment Insurance, a first step that will extend protections to furloughed workers;
• Strengthened food security initiatives, including SNAP, student meals, seniors nutrition and food banks;
• Clear protections for frontline workers, including health care workers and other workers who are in contact with those who have been exposed or are responsible for cleaning at-risk places;
• Increased federal funds for Medicaid, as states face increased costs.
“The House will move to pass the Families First Coronavirus Response Act tomorrow and send it to the Senate.”
# # #
Go to Source