Washington, DC—Today, Congressman John Garamendi (D-CA), a senior member of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, applauded the House Democratic Caucus’ introduction of its “Moving Forward” infrastructure plan to create 10 million new jobs in America by investing $760 billion over five years. As a senior member of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, Garamendi will help shape this plan into legislation and strongly advocate for its adoption by the full House.
“We must act to rebuild America’s crumbling infrastructure, create good-paying middle-class jobs, and address the climate crisis in the process with infrastructure that is smarter, safer, and made to last,” Garamendi said. “Moving Forward will fix our broken, outdated infrastructure, create 10 million new middle-class jobs, build a greener transportation system for the future, and make our roads, bridges, railways, airports and ports safer for all users.”
“In Congress, I’ve long advocated for ‘Make It In America’ policies that will create millions of new middle-class jobs by rebuilding our nation’s crumbling infrastructure with American materials and workers. Moving Forward takes that goal to heart, and I look forward to supporting its vision to deliver better infrastructure and new good-paying jobs for Americans through my work on the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee,” Garamendi concluded.
Moving Forward is infrastructure investment that is smarter, safer and made to last – with a framework that:
- Brings existing infrastructure into a state of good repair and enables the completion of critical projects through long-term, sustainable funding.
- Sets a path toward zero carbon pollution from the transportation sector, creating jobs, protecting our natural resources, promoting environmental justice and increasing resiliency to climate change.
- Ensures a transportation system that is green, affordable, reliable, efficient and provides access to jobs.
- Provides safe, clean and affordable water and wastewater services.
- Prioritizes the safety of the traveling public.
- Helps combat climate change by creating good-paying jobs in clean energy, investing in energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas pollution.
- Expands broadband internet access for unserved and underserved rural, suburban and urban communities.
- Modernizes 9-1-1 public safety networks.
- Creates family-wage jobs with Davis-Bacon and other strong worker protections.
- Supports U.S. industries, including steel and manufacturing, through strong Buy America protections
Text of the Moving Forward Framework is here.
A Factsheet is here.
Go to Source