Washington, D.C. – Today, Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) announced the nomination of seventeen students from the 28th Congressional District to U.S. service academies for the class of 2024.
“Each of these students has a stellar resume of accomplishments, participated in a variety of extracurricular activities and sports, and demonstrated academic excellence, which make them outstanding nominees for this great honor,” said Rep. Schiff. “This group of students has a commitment to serving our country, and I am proud to have nominated them for our U.S. service academies. Their hard work and dedication will make them future leaders, and I join our entire community in expressing gratitude for their decision to serve our country.”
The four academies requiring a Congressional nomination are the Air Force Academy, the Merchant Marine Academy, the Military Academy at West Point, and the Naval Academy. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, does not require a Congressional nomination. All five academies offer young men and women a free college education at a highly-ranked, nationally-recognized academic institution, while preparing them for an officer’s commission in the armed forces.
The nominees for U.S. service academies from the 28th Congressional District are:
- Christopher Rogers Benson (Burbank resident, Burbank High School) – Air Force Academy
- Jordan Michael Corpuz (Glendale resident, graduate of Hoover High School, currently attends Naval Academy Prep School) – Naval Academy
- Drake Anthony DiPaolo (La Cañada Flintridge resident, Loyola High School) – Air Force, Military and Naval Academies
- Dylan Tyler Effle-Hoy (Burbank resident, graduate of Burbank High School) – Air Force Academy
- Maximus Alexander Fan (La Cañada Flintridge resident, La Cañada High School) – Air Force and Naval Academies
- Jacqueline Marie Garrity (Glendale resident, Polytechnic High School) – Naval Academy
- Jonathan Paul Arthur Haley (Sun Valley resident, graduate of Valley Christian High School) – Military Academy
- Patrick Richard Kalb (Glendale resident, La Cañada High School) – Naval Academy
- Christopher George Kim (Hollywood Hills resident, attends Harvard-Westlake High School) – Naval Academy
- Moses Janghan Kim (La Crescenta resident, Crescenta Valley High School) – Military Academy
- Nathaniel Sung Woo Lee (Glendale resident, Crescenta Valley High School) – Air Force Academy
- Thomas Hamilton Link, Jr. (Pasadena resident, Loyola High School) – Naval Academy
- Christopher Shion Lynn (Silver Lake resident, Don Bosco Technical Institute) – Air Force Academy
- Alexandra India McGowan (La Crescenta resident, International School of Los Angeles) – Air Force Academy
- David John Miketta (La Cañada Flintridge resident, La Cañada High School) – Military Academy
- Kevin Vincent Taix (Glendale resident, graduate of Crescenta Valley High School) – Air Force and Naval Academies
- Kyle Gabriel Donor Vargas (Los Feliz resident, graduate of Providence High School) – Air Force Academy
Students interested in applying to a Service Academy for the Class of 2025 should contact Congressman Schiff’s District Office at 818-450-2900 or 323-315-5555, or visit https://schiff.house.gov to obtain an application form. The application deadline for next year’s class is November 20, 2020.
Go to Source